Wands at ready. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child has finally hit the shelves. My owl arrived on time. And I waited till most of the fans have actually read the Potter sequel.
Author: JK Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne
Release Date: July 31, 2016
Series: Harry Potter Book 8
Genre(s): Fiction; Fantasy, Young Adult, Plays
Reviewed by: mkgdes
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places. (Source: Goodreads.com)
I never thought I would be able to review a Harry Potter book when I started book blogging. The era of cauldrons, wands, and owls have already been a past. And the Second Battle of Hogwarts have long been over. The scar has not hurt since then. And Hogwarts remain to be a memory and in our hearts.
When I finished the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book, I was one among the Potterheads to be at the pit of Post-Potter Depression.
It was over.
A declaration that my childhood was also over.
I remember my friend who I went with to watch the last movie, she hasn’t even gone inside the theatre. She was afraid to go inside to bid her farewells to the world we’ve both come to love and daydream about. She cried out her heart in the powder room and all I could do was weep and rub her back. She even accused me that it wasn’t fair that I didn’t cried out. She thought it would be me who’ll be a crybaby. I was, during and after we’ve watched.
Potterheads had gone into a massive therapy after the release of the last Potter Book and the last movie shown on the theatres. Fanfictions. FanArts. Re-reads. Pottermore. Everything that makes it easier to cope up, Potterheads have tried it. The wizarding world lives on.
When the news of Newt Scamander’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie exploded, Potterheads had celebrated. Some looked for their robes and polished their wands. It lives on. What more could it be when Rowling announced there would be a play set Nineteen Years later?
My owl post has arrived and with a butterbeer on my hand, (it was actually a hot vanilla milk), I started my journey back to Hogwarts. I’ve accepted the fact that whatever spin-off this book offers, I would be delighted and be thrilled to read it. It might be biased but this is the Wizarding World we’re talking about. This is my childhood and these are the tales I’ve grown up with.
The 8th book was surprisingly an amazing and well-written fanfiction. I would actually agree that all Headcanons are now canons.
30 Things That Actually Happened on the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter’s son Albus Severus Potter has been sorted into Slytherin.
- Draco Malfoy’s son Scorpius and Albus are best mates.
- Scorpius is a nerdy geek.
- Scorpius likes Rose Granger-Weasley.
- Hermione is our Minister of Magic.
- James Sirius gets the Invisibility Cloak as a gift.
- Cedric Diggory has been mentioned.
- Time Turners are back. Wouldn’t you love that?
- *cue crying* Our Favourite love-hate professor Severus Snape is back. I might have teared up remembering Alan Rickman.
- AU: Ron marries Padma Patil and had a son named Panju.
- ScoRose: Scorpius doesn’t like a world without Rose in it.
- AU: Hermione is Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
- I must say, I love DRACO MALFOY to bits.
- Hermione’s name is hyphenated. Granger-Weasley.
- Scorpius is the Hermione is this generation. (I must say my Dramione ship is sailing with ScoRose)
- AU: Neville Longbottom is killed by Cedric Diggory.
- Draco Malfoy is a changed man.
- Draco Malfoy has defied Lucius for his muggle-sympathizer wife.
- Scorpius is in love with Rose!! (Let’s go home!)
- Harry’s Scar actually pained after 22 years.
- AU: Draco became the Head of Magical Law Enforcer.
- AU: Dolores Umbridge becomes the Headmistress of Hogwarts.
- Albus couldn’t get his broom fly.
- Rose Granger-Weasley is the newest and youngest Quidditch Player of Gryffindor.
- Voldemort had a child.
- Her name is Delphi.
- She was born before the Battle of Hogwarts to Bellatrix Black-Lestrange.
- Draco had come a long way and is now standing beside Harry and friends.
- No one has left the train to Hogwarts. Not Sirius Black nor the Weasley Twins.
- The first one to get out of the train while on board were Albus and Scorpius.
I don’t want to delve into a more detailed review as I’ve made an Unbreakable vow to not spill all those secrets of the book. So with a pensieve, I’ve retrieved few memories for you to enjoy with.